It Takes... Three?!?

We thought It Takes Two... But now it seems there's a third on the way! Chronicles of our unexpected and thrilling foray into the world of pregnancy and parenthood.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

History... Check!

Today was my first prenatal appointment. Fortunately, it was far less terrifying than it could have been. For one thing, there was no actual exam today. Instead, I met with a nurse who asked me several pages' worth of questions about my family history, my history, Asher's family history, etc. The usual stuff (heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, etc) as well as some questions about chromosomal abnormalities, retardation, and birth defects in the family. There was also the weight check and urinalysis, which I'm told will be done on every visit (no surprise there).

We also scheduled my next appointment for March 12, at which point I'll get undressed for a full exam, a pap smear, and possibly an ultrasound to check for Baby's heartbeat(!!). I already told Asher he has to come to that appointment with me so he can see the first pictures of our Baby if we do the ultrasound at that time. The nurse said a routine ultrasound will be done at the hospital some time around 20 weeks, at which point we'll learn Baby's gender and all that fun stuff that goes along with it. :o) She also said that this next appointment will be the last time I have to undress for an exam until 35 weeks--HUGE relief!!

I walked out of that clinic this morning with a whole ARMFULL of stuff: a consent form for obstetrical care, a receipt for today's visit, a form to take to Goddard for my prenatal bloodwork as well as *ANOTHER* urinalysis (two times in one morning?!? SHEESH!!), a packet of information about symptoms to expect and safe OTC medications and what I can expect at future visits, a pamphlet about classes offered at Normal Regional Hospital (prepared childbirth, breastfeeding, etc), and a "goodie bag" with everything from a baby laundry detergent sample to a free pacifier and bottle and a diaper sample and disposable nursing pads... There's just so much to take in!!

As for now... I've got a hole in my arm from the bloodwork, a million and a half things to think about, and it's about time for me to be heading out to work (I took a little break between the doctors and work; I deserve it! :o) ). I feel good about things. I feel like things are finally becoming REAL.

Baby is due on October 5, 2007. I am 7 weeks, 5 days pregnant as of today. And when we have the ultrasound, we'll see how accurate that estimate is. ;o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home