It Takes... Three?!?

We thought It Takes Two... But now it seems there's a third on the way! Chronicles of our unexpected and thrilling foray into the world of pregnancy and parenthood.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Unexpectedly Expecting

I have no idea what possessed me to take that test, but when I woke up Friday morning (2/2/07), I just had this feeling. It's silly, I know, but I can't explain it any other way. I hadn't been observing symptoms for days and wondering if it could be true: in fact, I hadn't even really considered it before Friday morning. But when I woke up for work, something made me take that test. And the results were nothing short of a complete and total shock.

I stared for a very long moment at the digital display, wondering why I couldn't see the word "Not". Finally, I picked it up and walked into the bedroom in a complete and total daze. "Baby," I kind of squeaked, "I need to show you something." I held it out in front of him. "It's missing the word 'not'." He got this silly grin (that I'm not even sure he noticed) and told me to go to work. So I did. But not before walking in confused circles for several minutes, unable to remember where my socks were long enough to put them on or to find my car keys, hanging on the hook where they always hang. It was all such a shock!

When I got to work, I couldn't believe it. So I walked two stores over to CVS, picked up another digital HPT (different brand this time, just to help convince myself) and took it in the bathroom at work. Again, no "not" on the display. That's when I called the health center and made an appointment where, of course, the blood test confirmed the pregnancy.

So here I am, two days later, stocking up on pregnancy books (What To Expect When You're Expecting and Your Pregnancy Week By Week), joining every online pregnancy forum I can find, and obsessively monitoring every twinge and ache and tiny change in body temperature for signs of a continued healthy pregnancy and to convince myself that this is really happening and that I'm not going to lose the baby. Aside from the headaches from caffeine withdrawals and ridiculous heartburn, I really have no complaints. Plus, as an added little bonus, Asher has been just the teensiest bit more affectionate and attentive since Friday morning (not that he was ever inattentive, but the extra affection is nice. :o) )

I'm horribly overwhelmed about trying to pick an OB/GYN. I guess I'll call the Women's Center at OU tomorrow morning for recommendations, and hopefully I can get my first appointment scheduled sooner rather than later. I started on prenatal vitamins Friday night, my head finally stopped hurting from caffeine withdrawals, and I discovered that Tums not *only* help the acid reflux, but they're a source of calcium as well (good news for this little milk-hater!) The hardest part for me right now will be NOT WORRYING about every tiny little detail, followed shortly by trying to improve my eating habits to give Baby the nutrients he/she needs to grow healthy and strong.

That, and keeping the good news to myself long enough to establish that everything is going as it should, that the baby isn't in danger, and that it all isn't just some wonderful dream. :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home