It Takes... Three?!?

We thought It Takes Two... But now it seems there's a third on the way! Chronicles of our unexpected and thrilling foray into the world of pregnancy and parenthood.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Baby Days

Last night, during the most exciting moment in sports history, Barry Bonds hit his 756th career home run in San Francisco. Fireworks erupted, fans cheered, and Barry was handed a mike to give a little on-field speech. A prerecorded message from Hank Aaron played on the big screen, congratulating Barry on his accomplishment, and it was all terribly thrilling.

During it all, I kept thinking, "How amazing that I'll be able to tell my child that I sat here, rubbing my swollen belly with them hiding inside, while this historic event took place."

These are the days I have dubbed "Baby Days".

Today is certainly another one, or perhaps part of the same cycle of baby obsession I was experiencing late last night. I cannot help but look in the mirror every time I pass, staring pointedly at my abdomen and the bulging area that houses my little one. My hands won't seem to stay off my bump, caressing it, as if I thought the baby could feel the loving gestures inside. Every thought seems centered around my baby, and if it's not directly related to my child, I find a way to make the connection. The world just seems like this incredibly beautiful, miraculous, wonderful place, all because I know that this child is on its way.

I'm sure I'm a little obnoxious on days like today. I'm distracted, floating around in this blissful daze, and EVERYTHING that comes out of my mouth seems to surround this pregnancy and my little miracle. I can't focus on anything that doesn't involve prenatal health, fetal development, or counting the weeks until I can feel the first kicks (although my baby is already kicking, but the little legs are still too small to feel!). In our home, I'm mentally mapping out where we'll put each new baby thing. Where the crib will go, the changing table, my rocker, where I'll store the bottles and the diapers and the diaper cream. At work, I'm imagining being so large I won't fit behind my desk comfortably, how I'll manage maternity leave, what I'll do when it's time to return to work and I don't want to tear myself away from my baby. And throughout it all, I see little angelic faces of what our child may look like, a chubby-cheeked compilation of Asher's eyes and hair, my nose and smile, and a hint of something that is neither one of us and both of us simultaneously.

It's true: I'm madly in love with this baby! And today is a Baby Day, so if you don't want to hear ALL about it, you'd better just keep your distance and leave me alone in my dreamworld. :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home