It Takes... Three?!?

We thought It Takes Two... But now it seems there's a third on the way! Chronicles of our unexpected and thrilling foray into the world of pregnancy and parenthood.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Taste of Pregnancy

When I found myself scraping every last bit of grilled onion off my empty plate and devouring it greedily, I knew something was up. Why did they taste so sweet, like candy, when they've always tasted bitter and gross to me?!?

Then Sprite started to taste very much like salt water.

Chocolate tastes VERY much like sweet&low or equal or some other artificial sweetner... And it tastes very little like anything else.

Snack cakes taste flat and dull. No sweetness, no tartness, no NOTHING. They're not BAD, exactly... Just not enjoyable.

Coke tastes bitter. Caffeine-free coke alternates between tasting like mana from heaven and like dirty pool water. Acidic pool water.

My cheetos didn't taste the least bit cheesy... They had a sort of sour flavor to them.

Fruit SINGS in my mouth when I eat it! It's bursting with flavor which, although different than I remember from pre-pregnancy, is DELIGHTFUL!

Now that I can keep down chicken again, it's absolutely marvelous. Beef, on the other hand, tastes slightly sour.

So you can understand why it takes me much longer now to select an entree off a menu than it did a few short months ago... I never know what to expect from my food! Old standby favorites leave me cold, while I find myself drooling over descriptions overflowing with foods I fiercely avoided for the past 24 years. Poor Asher seems to be terribly confused at the changes in my usual ordering habits and my unexpected unfavorable reactions to foods I have always loved. Heck, even ice cream is starting to taste less pleasant, while fruit popsicles are suddenly heaven.

Pregnancy is WEIRD.

1 Comments:

Blogger SeatOfMyPants said...

Oh, I am so glad to read this. Thanks for sharing. I had blueberry muffins for breakfast and they tasted like absolutely nothing. And the ice cream from last night tasted like not much more than cold. I definitely will need to pick up some popsicles and fruit!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home