It Takes... Three?!?

We thought It Takes Two... But now it seems there's a third on the way! Chronicles of our unexpected and thrilling foray into the world of pregnancy and parenthood.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Bed Rest

I just spoke with the doctor on call. Yes, at 11:00pm I called the answering service and made this poor doctor (who happens to be my pregnant boss's OBGYN) call me long distance on my cell. I described what I saw, and she asked some questions about the bleeding before now and cramping and all that. I told her yes, there have been some mornings where there was a little bit of blood with the first urine of the morning, but nothing more substantial than that. No, there hasn't been any severe cramping, only some very mild--much milder than my typical menstrual cramps--that feels like it's probably just stretching, and I started cramping with the passage of blood but, again, it's very mild.

She told me I'm probably fine, that there's no reason for me to go to the ER and spend all my money when they wouldn't do anything differently than my doctors would anyway. She said to wear a pad to accurately monitor vaginal bleeding (if any) that occurs, and I'm to stay in bed and off my feet for the remainder of the weekend. Monday morning, I have to call Dr. Waterman's office and let her know what happened, and Dr. Anderson asked when my next appointment is and said it was likely we'd have to schedule an ultrasound before that point to make sure Baby is growing normally, has a heartbeat, and that there's nothing funny going on inside my uterus. She mentioned a few problems (polyps, etc) that could cause this, but she said she wasn't too concerned and I was probably going to be fine. I told her it was very nice to hear that.

I'm scared. Less now that I've spoken with Dr. Anderson, but still scared nonetheless. It would destroy me if I lost Baby.

And I feel AWFUL for getting pseudo-angry with Asher for his apparent lack of concern when I called him earlier. I know he's not the worrier I am, and I love him for that. It's usually very reassuring, and I *KNOW* if something's wrong, there's nothing I can do. I just can't stand the thought of standing helplessly by while something happens to my baby. I hope I didn't ruin his night with his friends by calling him in tears and with potentially bad news.

If the bleeding becomes heavier or the cramps become severe, I'm supposed to go to the ER for an ultrasound and exam. Otherwise, it's just bed rest tomorrow and a possible ultrasound and exam sooner than expected.

Having a baby is exhausting. Sheesh, if the first trimester is this trying, what's the third going to be like?!? ;o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home