It Takes... Three?!?

We thought It Takes Two... But now it seems there's a third on the way! Chronicles of our unexpected and thrilling foray into the world of pregnancy and parenthood.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Take Two?

Well, it appears we might be having another go at this whole thing.

About a month (maybe 5 weeks) after the m/c, I had a normal period. I didn't bother noting the exact date, because I assumed it would be several months before my body resumed a somewhat normal schedule, but I remember being surprised it came at its usual interval (which is anywhere between 4-5 weeks).

About three weeks ago maybe, I started feeling like my period was about to start. Like, any minute. The cramping, mild bloating, tender breasts, moodiness, and acne were all very clear indications of impending menstruation. Then... it never came.

I didn't think anything of it, just assumed my body's not regular yet after the m/c and that it would happen eventually... But then, about a week ago, the pms-type symptoms started to fade and I stopped feeling like I was on the verge of starting. However, my breasts began to get increasingly more tender, and I started gagging every time I brushed my teeth (which happened to me only when I was pregnant). I started to wonder if there was any possible way I could be pregnant again. I knew it would have to be a VERY long shot, so I didn't seriously consider it.

Last Thursday, though (6/7), I got fed up of wondering when my durn period was going to start and worrying whether I'd be prepared when it came. So I went to Walgreens and bought two pregnancy tests (I always buy the 2-packs). My plan: Take the hpt Thurs. night, and my period would be guaranteed to start the next morning (of course it would; it was just waiting for me to waste cash on a test!). I took the test around 7:30pm on Thursday, when I was virtually guaranteed to get a negative (not only was I convinced I wasn't pregnant, but hcg levels are least detectible in the evenings, so even if I was early on in pregnancy, I'd still get a negative result). To my absolute SHOCK, the digital display very clearly read "Pregnant"!!

I took the second test Friday morning, just to be sure, and it again read "Pregnant". So I called the obgyn from work and left a message saying I was concerned because I didn't know if I actually was or if the positive was reading residual hormones from the miscarriage March 8, and could the hormones even stick around that long?!? My ob was off Friday, but a nurse called me back and said she'd fax lab forms over to the Healthplex to do hcg quants, and I went Friday and again yesterday and had blood drawn for the test. Dr. Waterman is supposed to review the results this morning when she gets in to see how the levels compared from Friday to Sunday, if they indicate pregnancy, and if they DO, how far along I am. Because I have no real clue.

So now I'm sitting at work, anxiously awaiting a phone call that may not even come until the end of the day, sipping on my Sprite and hoping my stomach calms down. I threw up last night, and again this morning while brushing my teeth. I had to run by McDonald's on my way to work because I felt so nauseous I couldn't wait 30 minutes for a Sprite and a bite to eat. My boobs feel heavy and ache with each step I take, and my face looks like a 13-year-old's. I'm sleeping even more than usual, and feeling physically exhausted after much less effort.

I am utterly convinced now that I'm pregnant.

The thing is, I can't let myself get my hopes up. First of all, it may be that I *was* pregnant and have already lost it, or am in the process of losing it. My hcg levels should show if that's the case. If I'm pregnant and the levels are at the right places and doubling at the right frequency, etc., it doesn't mean I'll still be pregnant in a week, much less several months down the road. And I can't afford to get all excited again, only to have my dreams crushed.

I just need to wait until the phone rings and I hear the test results directly from the dr. or one of her nurses, and then I just have to take it all one step at a time. But man, I FEEL pregnant, and I know that's what this is... I only hope it takes this time!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home